Read more about Mental Health
In this article, we shall examine how to handle depression.
1. Seek professional helpWhen faced with bouts of depression, it is advisable to seek professional help. Professionals could be your doctor who will prescribe possible treatments for your mental health. Depending on the severity of the depression – chronic or mild – you might need medication and psychotherapy. Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), tricyclic antidepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), and serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), atypical antipsychotics are the foremost medications for depression. Milder forms of depression will need the help of a psychotherapist who take you through identifying and eliminating the negative thoughts that trigger depression through several techniques like cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT), psychodynamic therapy, and interpersonal therapy.
2. Fill your schedule with events and activities you loveAvoid staying indoors or living in isolation often. Rather fill your schedule with exciting events and activities such as exercising regularly, hanging out with friends that bring you happiness, get new interests and hobbies, like learning new languages or writing a story, engaging yourself in outdoor activities such as going out for morning sun, sports, joining a meditation class or belong to a reading club.
3. Avoid Triggers.In overcoming depression you must avoid events that trigger it. This could take several forms such as ending toxic relationships, moving away from locations that bring sad memories, putting away drugs and substances, quitting a mentally taxing job or career and switching to doing what you love.
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
4. Improve your diet.A healthy diet can combat depression. If you are losing appetite, it is advisable to take multivitamin drugs or fruits to improve your appetite. Never skip meals. Eating thrice a day is encouraged. It is also advised to stay dehydrated. Add enough veggies and fruits to your diet and do away with carbonated drinks and junk. Avoid excessive weight loss or weight gain.
5. Enjoy having quality rest and sleep time.Good sleep can improve your mental health. Never neglect your body when it needs sleep or rest. Learn to take a break from work. Have a scheduled time for going to bed at night and waking up in the morning; make it a routine to sleep and wake at the same time every day. It will make you fall asleep or wake up easily. Put off every work or activity an hour before you go to be at night. When you wake up in the morning take a glass of water and do a brief walk around the house; this will aid metabolism. Avoid or limit caffeine in your diet as it makes it difficult to fall asleep. In conclusion, there is no one that is immune to depression. It can be managed or eliminated entirely when the sufferer takes the necessary steps. People who suffer from depression need all the support they need from all quarters – family, friends and the government. Source: Wikipedia
Got a suggestion? Contact us: email@example.com
You might also like:
- 5 Things To Do To Get Out Of Depression Faster (Part 2)
- 5 Things To Do To Get Out Of Depression Faster (Part 1)
- How To Take Advantage Of Criticism
- 4 Secrets To Building A Killer Portfolio