Our oral health may not get as much attention as it deserves but it’s just as important as our physical, mental, and emotional health. That’s because a clean and healthy oral cavity is one of the reasons why we can smile, move and relate with confidence. Today’s discussion centres on mouthwash, an important tool in our oral care regimen and for those who do not know, oral care does not begin and end with brushing the teeth. Dental experts recommend that our oral care regimen should also include daily use of dental floss and mouthwash.
What then is mouthwash? It is a liquid product used to rinse the teeth, gums and mouth. It is also known as a mouth rinse or oral rinse. It usually contains an antiseptic which kills any harmful oral bacteria. It freshens your breath and removes excess food particles from your mouth. You can find different brands of dentist-approved mouthwash in pharmacies and supermarkets around you. But if you can’t afford to buy them or if you run out of supply, you can always make some with regular ingredients in your kitchen. Here are some homemade mouthwash recipes for you to try out:
1. Salt, Baking Soda and Water Mouthwash:
These three ingredients have cleansing properties. In this recipe, salt, a natural antibacterial performs the dual function of reducing inflammation of the mouth and preserving the mouthwash. The baking soda leaves your mouth less conducive to cavity-causing bacteria. It has also been linked to teeth whitening. So, you don’t need a soothsayer to tell you that this remedy is effective. It’s also very easy to make. You only need to mix half a teaspoon of baking soda and half a teaspoon of salt into a cup of warm water. Stir till the salt and baking soda dissolve completely. Then add the salty mouthwash to a glass bottle. Use a little at a time and keep the rest refrigerated.
2. Lemon Juice Mouthwash:
This mouthwash is super easy to make at home. Lemon is antibacterial. It’s a great ingredient for controlling dental plaque. One lemon and a glass of warm water are all you need to make this mouthwash.
3. Aloe Vera Mouthwash:This recipe is key to the healing properties and oral hygiene benefits of aloe vera. So, I’m pretty sure that most Nigerians would favour this homemade mouthwash. To make this mouthwash, add half a cup of aloe vera juice, half a cup of water, and one and a half teaspoons of baking soda to a clean container with a secure lid. Shake the mixture till the baking soda dissolves. Once it does, your mouthwash is ready. However, it is noteworthy that aloe vera mouthwash should be refrigerated between use. It is also pertinent to mention here that essential oil is an optional addition to this recipe. Two drops of your favoured essential oil are all you need to flavour the mouthwash.
4. Tumeric Mouthwash:
That bright yellow-orange spice in your kitchen that looks like ginger roots can also be used to make a mouthwash. Turmeric contains curcumin which helps to reduce inflammation and protects the mouth against gum disease and gingivitis. This Tumeric mouth rinse is a simple blend of clove water (water used in soaking cloves), baking soda, turmeric and water but it does the job.
5. Cloves and Cinnamon Mouthwash:
This mouthwash which is made with pantry staples is perfect for combating bad breath. The cinnamon in this recipe contains cinnamic aldehyde which reduces the number of bacteria in the saliva. Suffice it to say that when it’s combined with cloves, it will tackle that bad breath as quickly as possible. The best part is that this mouthwash can be used several times a day as it has no harsh chemicals.
For this recipe, you need to add a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of cloves to a cup of boiling water. Turn off the heat then let the spices infuse for about ten minutes. Strain the mix and your mouthwash is ready. Pour it into a bottle and refrigerate for up to a week.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar Mouthwash:Apple Cider Vinegar is supposedly a natural teeth whitener and a bad breath neutralizer. However, it should be diluted before use as its acidity can deteriorate tooth enamel. Mix a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a cup of water, and add half a spoon of salt and a drop of vanilla essential oil. Stir well and use.
In conclusion, you have everything you need to make a mouthwash in your kitchen. So, take charge of your oral hygiene and enjoy optimum dental health.
Disclaimer: This article is intended for educational purposes only. It is not to be used as a substitute for professional dental advice.Featured Image Source: Mommypotamus
Got a suggestion? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also like:
- What is the difference between Metatrader 4 and Metatrader 5?
- IkejaElectric: Manage All Your Electricity Account In One Click
- Did You Know? 7 Facts About Cupcakes
- Did you Know? 6 Reasons Why You Need An Air Fryer
Heeya arre usinhg WordPress forr your blpog platform?
I’m neww too thhe bog world but I’m tring tto get strted and seet
up mmy own. Do youu neeed any hml coring knowledge too make your own blog?
Any help wold bee greatly appreciated!
free dating sites chat fdating 100 free dating site free dating sites free near me best sites for online dating