This is a very easy DIY project for virtually anyone learning to sew. You can. The fun part is also that you can give your living room a fresh look every now and then by simply changing the covers of your throw pillows!
- Fold your fabric in half, right sides together. You need to fold the fabric horizontally. Measure and cut out the desired length of fabric.
Tip: You can place the pillow on your fabric and use a chalk to mark out the sides onto the fabric so that you get an accurate measurement.
- At the top edge of the fabric, fold down half an inch, then another half an inch. Secure with pins. This is going to be the top seam.
- Take the fabric to the machine and sew round the hem you folded.
- Lay your fabric back on the table, right sides together. Ensure that both sides are matching each other. You are going to have two unsewn ends at the sides and bottom of the fabric.
- Measure out one inch seam allowance on both edges and secure with pins.
- Take the fabric back to the machine and sew a straight stitch on each side that you just pinned. Do not touch the top opening of the fabric that you hemmed first, it is the opening of the pillowcase.
- Turn your pillowcase right side out and check that all seams are correctly sewn.
That’s it! One of the easiest sewing projects you can learn. Have fun experimenting with all kinds of fabric.
About the Author
: Amina Salau is a writer and editor running The Illuminated Pen. You can find her online at www.theilluminatedpen.com and on Twitter (@_Aminah)
You might also like:
This article was first published on 10th December 2014 and updated on December 20th, 2017 at 10:24 am
Leave a Reply