Lagos today still remains the commercial hub of the nation. As one of the fastest growing cities in the world, the state attracts a large number of commuters that come to settle down in the state daily.
The state is divided into 2 major landscapes which are the Lagos Island and the Lagos Mainland. But I tell you, the Lagos Mainland is now subdivided into Mainland and the Main-Mainland (this is an article for another day).
So if you are planning to relocate or get a fresh apartment in Lagos, you might just want to heed these steps:
- Capital Budget: In Lagos, there is a need for you to set a budget for the apartment you are intending to get. Your budget varies from:
- The size of the apartment (a room, a room and parlour, a one-room or a room and parlour self-contained with a kitchen and personal bathroom (studio apartments), a 2-bedroom flat, 3-bedroom flat or a duplex). These are the regular ones you can get in Lagos.
- Cash budget: This will basically depend on your target location. The price of a room on the island varies from what is obtainable on the mainland (and on the main-main land).
- Target location: Choosing your location, you need to consider some basic things:
- Your office location.
- Your spouse’s office location (if any).
- Security of the area.
- Drainage system.
- Use a known agent/lawyer:n It is preferable to seek the services of a trusted agent or lawyer through the referral of friends in order to avoid being defrauded.
- Personal house verification: You need to go down to the area anonymously to make personal findings of the house. Ask questions like “why did the past tenants leave the house?” “how long does an average tenant stay in that house?” “does the landlord harass the tenants?” and so on.
- Terms and conditions: This is a personal thing, the way Mr A views the T&C might be different from the way Mr B sees it. So read it again and again.
- Check the current electrical bills.
- Check if there is water running in the area.
- Make sure your apartment is not near to where the generator house is.
- Check for a cross-ventilation.
- Prevalence of pests and how to control them.
- Make a checklist of any other personal requirement.
You might also like:
- Brands We Love: Adron Homes
- SME Spotlight: Spleet
- Moving House: How To Get Through This Process Unscathed and Ready To Enjoy Your New Home
- Guidelines For Renting a Home in Lagos, Nigeria
Leave a Reply