Bye Sunday, Hello Monday… If you are looking for a way to stop yourself from pushing off work and limiting your productivity, or maybe you are finding it hard to start working on a task or even completing one, then thank your stars for bringing this article your way.
“Someday is not a day of the week.”
Read more about Monday Motivation
The truth is, we are prone to procrastinating tendencies when we feel overwhelmed, afraid or anxious about work. And predictably, postponing important work will only lead to more anxiety, stress, and of course the inability to have the work done. When this happens, we feel bad and guilty and our drive to work and creativity begin to suffer. In the event of procrastinating, we realize that we have poor time management skills and we are wasting precious time on activities that could be done at a much later time. So, what can we do about this? How can we bring ourselves to clean our rooms instead of watching TV? How can we finish our work schedules on time before we can attend that game night and hang out with friends? Here are the steps that could make you reinstate your determination to complete a task, stop procrastinating, and keep your productivity cycle going.
- What motivates you? This particular question should spur you to complete tasks on time. If you derive joy in doing your work, then you are going to do more work because you love doing what you do. But if you are looking forward to the extra bonuses at the end of the quarter, you are likely going to sit up and do more work. But then again, if nothing motivates you at all, be sure to expect that sack letter from your boss sooner. Oh, that scares you? Then, do not procrastinate!
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
- You should consider the emotional harm you are doing to yourself when you decide to sit back and allow time to go by instead of taking action. Think of the satisfaction that comes with completing a task. Think of the frustration that comes with not completing one. Maybe you will begin to see why you should start getting the work done before the deadline approaches.
- Prioritize the activities on your to-do list. Start by putting the list of the things you avoid doing at the top. This will help you complete those tasks with ease and gradually, those tasks you used to put off in the past will look less difficult.
- Break complex goals into simple and realistic ones. You could attach a workable deadline to them as this would help you to achieve them without feeling stressed.
- Use more positive comments and result-oriented remarks that will inspire you. Less of “I can’t” and more of “I can”.
- Take out time to reward yourself for completing a task. Maybe treat yourself to a nice meal or attend a show that you have been wanting to see.
Got a suggestion? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also like:
- Nadayar Enegesi: From Building Wealth to Building Well-Being
- Monday Motivation: Inspirational Quotes For Endless Determination
- Never Give Up On Reaching Your Desired Goal
- Monday Motivation: 8 Great Tips For Combating Anxiety In The Workplace