Read more about Men you should know
Research specialization Oluwole Babafemi Familoni is a Professor of Chemistry at the University of Lagos and a member of the Governing Council of the Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria. Between 2000 and 2002, he was the Sub-Dean of the Faculty of Science of the University of Lagos. He was appointed the Head of the Department of Chemistry between 2002 and 2005. He later became the Dean of Science between 2008 and 2012. He is a fellow of the Nigerian Academy of Science, elected into the academy’s fellowship at its Annual General Meeting held in January 2015. Professor Familoni is the International Representative for the Royal Society of Chemistry, London for Southern Nigeria. Familoni’s area of specialization is a synthesis of heterocyclic compounds with physiological activities and natural product chemistry. He has been publishing these areas of research since 1987. His synthesis is mainly sulphur-containing heterocycles. This includes: Pyrido[1,2-a]quinoxalinone, thiazolo[4,3-b]quinoxa-linone, Isothaizoles, substituted Benzothiazines, Pyridobenzothiadiazines, deoxyjacareubin, Xanthones, Dibenzo[b,f]oxapinone etc. In the area of natural products chemistry, he has been active in the isolation of active ingredients and the physiologically active compounds. The plants he had worked on include Buchholzia Coriacea, Ficus vallis-chouldae Delile-holl (Moraraceae) and Datarium microcarpum Gill-perr. (Caesapinaceae), Lecaniodiscus cupanodes, Hymencardia acadia; Hymenocardia acida Tul. (Hymenocardiaceae) Abrus precatorius Cissus populnea Flabellaria paniculata Cav., Morinda lucida, Parkia biglobosa (Jacq) Benth and Sesamum radiatum; among others. He has used these products to find remedies to the following: antioxidant and antibacterial activities, herbal medication for male infertility, anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive, gastric ulcer problems to mention but a few. He presented the 8th Inaugural lecture of the Chemistry Department of the University of Lagos in June 2008, titled “Synthetic Organic Chemists: Creating Molecules for the Benefit of Man The works have resulted in the graduation of numerous students at first and higher degrees. This includes about 40 master’s degree holders and 4 Ph.D.s. Currently, he has about 10 Ph.Ds under his supervision. He has about 50 publications in peer review learned journals.
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
Administrative roles He was a member of the Development Committee, Homeownership Committee, Appointment and Promotion Committee and Advancement Board to mention but a few. He is a member of the board of trustees of Adeboye Chair of Mathematics and Ogunye Chair of Chemical Engineering, a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Scientific Research and Development, and since 2012 he has been the editor-in-chief of the journal. Nationally, he was a member of the Governing Council of National Centre for Efficiency and Conservation 2009–2012 and a member Governing Council Institute of Chartered Chemist of Nigeria (ICCON) 2014 till date. Internationally, he is the chairman of the Royal Society of Chemistry, London (Nigerian Section) and a member of the Pan African Chemistry Network (PACN) advisory Board 2014-2017. Awards and recognition He has received many awards and recognition.
- He was awarded the Distinguished Alumni in 2012 in Commemoration of University of Lagos At 50 by the University of Lagos Alumni Association. This is a follow-up to the earlier Distinguished Achiever in 2005 by the same Alumni Association.
- He was a two-time winner of the JWT Jones Travelling Fellowship by the Royal Society of Chemistry, London in 2007 and 1997 spent in Canada and the UK respectively.
- He was granted Visiting fellowship by the South African Foundation for Research & Development (FRD) in 1997 and 2006 spent at Rhodes University, Grahamstown in South Africa.
- A research chemist to the core in the area of organic synthesis, he was a five-time research awardee in 1993,1996, 2004, 2006 and 2014 by the Royal Society of Chemistry, London.
- Familoni was a recipient of Alfred Bader Research Fellowship by Alfred Bader Chair at Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada in 1999, 2003 and 2007.
- In 1993/1994, he was a CIDA/NSERC Research Fellow awarded by the National Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada.
Did you find this article useful? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also like:
- Chief Subomi Balogun: The Nigerian Banking Legend
- IkejaElectric: Manage All Your Electricity Account In One Click
- Nigerians In History: Muhammad Rumfa
- Nigerians In History: Babban Zaki
my dating sites free free online dating free online dating service all free dating site