Post Image

A lot of people find it hard to choose between raw honey and white sugar when it comes to their diet. Surely, both sweeteners are good when taken moderately, but there is no doubt that raw honey is better for your health than white sugar.

Read more about Wellness
In this article, we discuss the reasons we consider raw honey to be better: 1. Honey is sweeter and has more calories: 1 tablespoon of white sugar contains 49 calories, while 1 tablespoon of raw honey contains 64 calories. Honey has a sweeter taste; doctors advise that you can use less in your food. That way, you can consume fewer calories overall.

2. Raw honey does not spike your blood sugar: Interestingly, both raw honey and white sugar are carbohydrates. Also, they both contain fructose and glucose. But while white sugar is 100% sugars, raw honey is about 85% sugars. The remaining 15% of honey is water, pollen and trace nutrients.

White sugar is usually absorbed into the body and blood much faster than honey. This means that raw honey provides more levels of energy for a longer period of time when compared to white sugar.

Sign up for the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
3. There are additional nutrients in raw honey: White sugar contains nothing else other than sugars. But raw honey has got a number of additional nutrients, including amino acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals. These nutrients have anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-oxidant properties which can help a person to develop a stronger immune system and have overall better health.

4. Raw honey is so much more than a sweetener: Raw honey possesses certain flavours and complexities that make it a better substitute for white sugar. There are so many unique honey varieties like acacia honey, tupelo honey, and buckwheat honey. You can also find regular honey if you do not prefer the flavoured type.

Most of the raw, liquid honey varieties are natural; they are different because they come from the different types of plant nectar that the bees are collecting. When the bees convert these types of nectar into raw honey, the result is a variety of honey which honey lovers go for due to their distinct taste.
Register to attend the Connect Nigeria Business Mixer
Raw honey not only boosts the immune system but consuming it can afford you several other important health benefits. Honey is a proven natural remedy for cough and sore throats. Honey can also help to moderate the sinus and throat irritations and can completely eliminate pollen allergies for most people. In addition, honey promotes better sleep. Do not forget that honey is easier to digest as compared to white sugar.
Featured Image Source: Eat Beautiful
Got a suggestion? Contact us:

You might also like:
This article was first published on 12th June 2022


Ohia, Ernest Chigaemezu is a writer, editor, and grade teacher based in Jos, Nigeria.

Comments (1)

One thought on “Raw Honey Over White Sugar: Reasons”

  • It’s really great. Thank you for providing a quality article. There is something you might be interested in. Do you know casino online ? If you have more questions, please come to my site and check it out!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *