Read more about COVID-19
Why Is It A Variant?The DELTA VARIANT is a new strain that has emerged due to mutation in the virus genetic structure.
Things You Need To Know About The DELTA Strain
- The delta variant is a more contagious variant of COVID-19 and spreads rapidly after its emergence. As of July 22, 2021, 80% of patients who tested positive for COVID-19 had delta variants.
- Delta variant of COVID-19 is able to get into the cells i.e lungs easily meaning that it is easier to catch the disease and it could affect even those who had previously been infected.
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
- There are 1000times more viruses of the delta strain in the nasal and respiratory passages in a person who has a delta variant compared to the original strain.
- The delta variant may look and act very similar to the original strain of COVID-19. However, there are some differences: Fever and cough are present in both types, but headaches, sinus congestion, sore throats, and running nose are more common with the delta variant. Loss of taste and smell, considered a hallmark symptom of the original virus, may happen less frequently.
- Delta variant is affecting unvaccinated people more, Health experts urge that COVID-19 vaccines work to prevent severe diseases which may be fatal.
- Breakthrough cases for vaccinated people are rare but do happen: when a vaccinated person tests positive for COVID-19, most either have no symptoms or have very mild symptoms and it rarely results in hospitalisation or death.
Got a suggestion? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also like:
- Medic West Africa Exhibition And Conference
- Brands We Love: Chemiron
- Follow These Steps To Wash Your Hands Properly
- Building The Largest Emergency Respondent Networks In Nigeria