The Nigerian national men’s U-17 football team, the Golden Eaglets, were crowned champions of the WAFU B U-17 tournament in Ghana, on Friday, June 24, 2022, after a 2-1 win over Burkina Faso in the final game of the competition. A brace from Abubakar Abdullahi was all the NdukaUgbade-led side needed to win the regional tournament just like the national U-20 men’s side did in Niger.
Super Eagles of Nigeria forward Anayo Iwuala was crowned a league champion in Tunisia on Sunday, June 26, 2022, after Esperance beat Ben Guerdane 2-1 in the final round of the six-team playoffs to clinch a record 32nd Tunisian league title. The win also meant Esperance has won the league for the sixth consecutive time.
Rivers United won their first league title on Sunday, June 26, despite suffering a 2-1 away loss to Nasarawa United in the Lafia Township Stadium. The home side took the lead just five minutes into the game through a Sunday Okereke strike. Stanley Eguma’s men would equalize in the 80th minute courtesy of a goal from Sikiru Olatubosun. Tochukwu Michael ensured that the home side got all three points with a goal in the 90th minute of the encounter. With just three games left and nine points to fight for, Rivers are now the 2021/2022 Nigeria Professional Football League champions.
See full NPFL results below:
- Nasarawa United 2-1 Rivers United
- Akwa United 2-1 Plateau United
- Niger Tornadoes 4-0 Kwara United
- Lobi Stars 1-0 Dakkada
- Sunshine Stars 2-1 MFM
- 3SC 2-2 Abia Warriors
- Kano Pillars 1-0 Rangers
- Enyimba 0-0 Heartland
- Katsina United 3-2 Remo Stars
- Gombe United 2-1 Wikki Tourist
Complete SportsFeatured Image Source: Ripples Nigeria
Got a suggestion? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also like:
- Team Nigeria Wins 13 Medals As Folashade And Chiemerie Break World Records
- Ajibade And Ohale Make WAFCON 2022 Tournament XI
- Four Nigerian Women That Made Sporting History In One Week
- World Athletics Championship: Ese Brume Wins Silver