Remember Emmanuella of “This is not my real face” fame? She just won an award for her comedy skit. Mark Angel Comedy which features Emmauella, alongside Channels TV and Ibaka TV/Nollywood have been announced as winners of the inaugural edition of the Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) YouTube Awards.
According to Susan Wojcicki, the Chief Executive Officer of YouTube, the SSA YouTube Award was Google’s way of celebrating African creators. She said, “the YouTube Awards celebrates the talent and creativity of YouTube community while serving as a platform that shares Africa’s creativity with the rest of the world… by holding our first-ever YouTube Africa Awards, we hope to celebrate incredible achievements like Olympic medalist Julius Yego Show, while also demonstrating our long-term commitment to the continent.”
According to her, the YouTube Awards were handed out to 25 creators across 23 categories and the nominees were chosen based on subscriber numbers. To be nominated, a creator had to have a minimum of 50,000 subscribers and must be based and currently residing in one of eight launched countries in SSA. The launched countries are Tanzania, Ghana, Uganda, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Nigeria, and Senegal.
The full list of winners are:
- Broadcaster: Channels Television
- Comedy: Kansiime Anne
- Comic: Ramscomics/Supastrikas
- Education: Retutpro– Photography and Photoshop Tutorials
- Entertainment: NdaniTV
- Fitness: Six Pack Factory
- Games: Slushy AJ
- Makeup and Fashion: Kangai Mwiti
- Music: Yellow Brick Cinema
- News and politics: Millard Ayo
- Nonprofit: Jim Nduruchi
- People and Blogs: Suzelle DIY
- Pets and animals: Earth Touch
For the Top Subscribed Creator category, we have by country
- Uganda: Kansiime Anne
- Ghana: OfficialSarkodie:
- Kenya: Churchill Show
- Nigeria: Mark Angel Comedy
- Senegal: Prince Arts
- South Africa: Yellow Brick Cinema
- Tanzania: DiamondPlatnumz
- Zimbabwe: Mufti Menk
And finally, Top Subscribed Nollywood Channel: IbakaTV/Nollywood.
You might also like:
- Tems, First Nigerian Female Singer to Win a Grammy
- Tems Nominated for Oscar Awards 2023
- Entertainment Roundup: Wizkid’s Fourth Billboard Hot 100 Entry
- 2022 BET Awards: Tems Becomes First Nigerian Woman To Win Best International Act
Big up to Millard Ayo and Diamond Platnumz for representing Tanzania. Love these guys may God bless y’all.
As usual, Diamond Platnumz my man, great for representing East Africa.
Diamond is the jewel of East Africa, from humble beginnings to being the top musician in East Africa, it wasn’t an easy journey but was possible.
In 2016, Emmanuella won the award for Top Subscribed Creator from YouTube at the inaugural edition of the Sub- Saharan African YouTube Awards. She also won the Best New Comedienne Princess of Comedy awards at the Afro-Australia Music Movie Awards (AAMMA).