Fashion designing is one of the most popular and lucrative jobs in the fashion industry in Nigeria.
If you want to become a fashion designer and you don’t know how to go about it, this article is for you.
This article will explain in simple terms: who a fashion designer is, the difference between tailors and fashion designers, how to become a fashion designer and how much fashion designers earn.
Who is a fashion designer?
A fashion designer is someone responsible for creating a specific look. He/she takes note of the client’s shape, the type of fabric to be used, trimmings, sketching, aesthetic, fitting, and all other aspects that lead to the creation of an outfit.
They work with other stakeholders in the fashion industry like stylists, patternmakers, modelling agencies, magazine editors, skincare experts, make-up artists, etc.
Differences between tailors and fashion designers
1. Tailors produce, repair, and alter clothes while fashion designers produce new styles, patterns, designs, and clothing.
2. Tailors are usually given the designs to sew by their clients. Tailor expertise is shown in how he/she accurately reproduces the design given by their clients. On a few occasions, tailors slightly alter their clients chosen style while fashion designers get their clients’ designs by sketching and producing new designs. Fashion designers bring the clients’ imagination to life.
3. The training to become a tailor is different from that of a fashion designer. Tailors learn from local fashion shops. They are to be apprentices for a while, usually between 1-3 years. In most tailor shops, they don’t have a defined learning outline. Fashion schools on the other hand are more structured, students are given outlines and their tutors stick to them.
4. Fashion designers make customized clothing while tailors don’t.To make a custom dress you have to create something unique. Tailors are not trained to undertake such a feat.
5. Fashion designers are more paid than tailors because they render different services. The work of a fashion designer is more tedious.
How to become a fashion designer
1. Get trained at a fashion designing school: There are various fashion schools in Nigeria. You can check out those close to where you live. Go through their learning outlines and payment and choose the one of your choice. If you decide to study at a fashion school far from where you stay, you can opt for accommodation.
2. Gain experience: You can be an intern to established fashion designers or work as a tutor in fashion schools.
3. Update yourself about the fashion industry: As a fashion designer, you have to know the in and out of the fashion industry. Know the current trends.
4. Create a fashion designing portfolio:As you design outfits, make sure you put your designs together.
How much do fashion designers make?
In Nigeria, there is no specific amount of money earned by fashion designers as most fashion designers are self-employed.
Those that intern or work with fashion designers in Nigeria are paid an average of fifty thousand naira to two hundred thousand naira monthly.
For self-employed fashion designers, they don’t earn a fixed sum of money. It depends on the financial status and the number of clients they have.
Fashion designing is a great profession in Nigeria. You can become one if you want to.
The Best Schools. org
Masterclass.comFeatured Image source: Hamstech
Got a suggestion? Contact us: email@example.com
You might also like:
- Starting A Fashion Designing Business From Home
- 10 Tips On Starting A Fashion Business in Nigeria ( Part 1)
- 5 Things To Do To Get Out Of Depression Faster (Part 2)
- 5 Things To Do To Get Out Of Depression Faster (Part 1)