It gives me no small comfort to know that regardless of what challenge I’m facing at any time, the Bible has something to say. From anger, to too much talk, sound counsel abounds in the Bible. It is not silent on the issue of laziness either. Is it merely a bad habit, or a potentially dangerous one? What does the Bible say about laziness?
1. Hard work means you have money in your account, but spending your days lazing about and fantasizing shows that you are not wise. (Proverbs 12:11)
2. Laziness is not a trait of the godly, and lazy people make no headway in life. (Proverbs 15:19; Proverbs 31: 13, 16, 19.)
3. Laziness – being slothful at work- is just as bad as destroying and vandalizing things. You didn’t think it was that serious, did you? (Proverbs 18:9)
4. Laziness was one of the sins of Sodom and Gomorrah, and we know how the twin cities ended up. You thought the vandalism comparison was tough? It turns out God really hates laziness! (Ezekiel 16:49)
5. Laziness attracts poverty, but the person who acts wisely by working hard when they should, will build wealth. (Proverbs 10:4-5)
6. A lazy person is always wanting this and wanting that without getting anything, but if you work hard, you’ll soon be able to afford what you desire. (Proverbs 13:4)
7. Lazy people can’t even process what they harvest or add value to their products and earnings, but hardworking people make use of every resource and multiply every naira. (Proverbs 12:27)
8. Hard workers and diligent professionals rise to the top of the ladder, but the lazy ones remain at the bottom. (Proverbs 12:24)
9. Excessive sleep is a killer of destiny; let it serve you, not master you. If you are sleeping when you should be working you’ll end up poor. If you put in the work, you’ll reap the rewards! (Proverbs 20:13)
10. Money does not fall from heaven, it comes to those who are profitably engaged. If you don’t work when you ought to, when hard workers are smiling to the bank there’ll be nothing in your account. (Proverbs 20:4)
11. Hard work is not only reserved for work you’re passionate about. As a Christian, it applies to any job you are able to get, and every trade you engage in. When we work diligently it is actually an offering to God, not just serving our employers or clients. (Colossians 3:23)
12. If you have a challenge in this area, you can seek wisdom by prayerfully considering how the ants, small as they are, work hard and make the most of every season. (Proverbs 6:6-9).
God considers laziness a sin, and the apostle Paul in 2 Thessalonians 3:10 discourages freeloading, stealing, and fraud, presenting honest labour as the ideal. Work is of God. Do it with joy!
You might also like:
- Do You Know Nigeria’s Oldest Degree Awarding Theological Institution?
- Do You Know? Jeremiah Aluwong And The LightWK Team
- It Is ‘In Jesus’ Name’ And Not ‘ijn’
- Let’s Talk About the Beauty Who Was Married to a Beast