We are delighted to inform you that the submission window for the 2022 AKO Caine Prize for African Writing is now open. We warmly encourage you to submit eligible stories.
Read more about Opportunities
About The Prize
The AKO Caine Prize for African Writing is an annual short story award. The Prize is awarded for a short story by an African writer published in English, whether they reside in Africa or elsewhere.
The winner is awarded a cash prize of £10,000, and the other four shortlisted writers will receive £500 each.
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
- The story must have been published in the five years preceding the submissions deadline. For 2022 eligibility, the judges will only consider work published after 31st January 2017
- Stories less than 3,000 words or exceeding 10,000 words are not eligible for the Prize.
- Short stories must be submitted by a publisher – including publishers of physical and digital literary journals or magazines. Self-published and unpublished works are not eligible.
- Publishers must obtain consent from the writer(s) before submitting their stories for the Prize.
- Stories submitted for the Prize must have been published in English. Translated stories are eligible, provided that an English translation has been published.
- Stories that have been previously submitted for the Caine Prize are not eligible.
- Genres not eligible for entry include stories for children, factual writing, plays and autobiography/biography.
- Submissions must specify which African country the author comes from and the word count.
- Publishers are encouraged to submit multiple short stories as long as they do not submit more than one story by the same author.
NOTE: Short stories that do not meet the criteria will not be considered for the prize.
All submissions should be made to: https://zealous.co/theakocaineprizeforafricanwriting/opportunity/The-2022-AKO-Caine-Prize-for-African-Writing/
For more details, visit: http://www.caineprize.com/rules-of-entry
Submission Deadline: 31st January 2022
Featured Image Source: Opportunity Desk
Got a suggestion? Contact us: email@example.com