Etigwe Uwa, is a Nigerian lawyer, specializing in the field of Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property, Arbitration, Shipping, Tort, and Administrative Law.
Read more about Men you should know
An alumnus of the Tufts Fletchers University (GMBA), Nigerian Law School (BL) and the University of Lagos (LLB), He was called to Bar in 1990 and is regarded as a fine litigator, whose reputation has been founded on the intensive experience of the Nigerian court system at all levels.
Uwa is known for His depth of expertise in litigation and arbitration. His expertise spans a wide range of areas including commercial disputes, international trade, oil and gas, telecommunications, company law, maritime and aviation, intellectual property, employment, personal injury, construction, trade disputes, insurance, taxation, banks and other financial institutions.
He is the Partner in charge of the Dispute Resolution Practice of Streamsowers & Köhn, a full licensed Law firm in Nigeria. Mr Uwa represents NNPC in the multibillion-dollar production sharing contract disputes with certain international oil companies, to mention but a few. He has recently been involved, both as counsel and arbitrator, in several international commercial arbitration matters. He is also a member of F. O. Akinrele & Company.
Uwa was the Nigerian contributor to the premier edition of the Law Business Research’s Getting the Deal Through publication on Arbitration in 2008, and he still contributes to the Getting the Deal Through publication on Enforcement of Foreign Judgments.
He also has an established reputation as an authority in Nigerian aviation law and was lead counsel responsible for drafting the Civil Aviation Act and the subsequent declarations made by Nigeria in pursuance of the Cape Town Convention.
Sign up to the Connect Nigeria daily newsletter
Professional Membership And Publication
Uwa is a member of the following bodies:
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK.
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN).
Uwa has also made some academic contributions to society. His contributions include sections on Enforcement of Foreign Judgements, Tax Disputes and Litigation Review, Aviation Liability, Arbitration and Air Transport.
Barr. Uwa is a Managing Partner in StreamSowers & Kohn, a leading law firm in Nigeria. Mr Uwa is a highly respected member of the Nigerian legal community. He joined the Board in 2008 as its Secretary and is a member of the Finance and Administration Committee.
Etigwe has represented various clients in several notable dispute resolution transactions which include:
- A contractor cross-border dispute between indigenous offshore support services and EPIC contractor in respect of a convertible bond under a nominee agreement entered into by the parties.
- An arbitration proceeding at the London Court of International Arbitration regarding a dispute in relation to the shareholding and funding arrangements entered with a joint venture partner, for the acquisition of a stake in an Electricity Distribution Company.
- A Federal High Court and Court of Appeal suit led to the setting aside of a multibillion-dollar arbitral award, following a novel argument that Petroleum Profits Tax disputes are not arbitrable in Nigeria.
- An action was brought against the Federal Inland Revenue Service for a group company, in respect of an Income Tax liability imposed on the companies by the FIRS.
Etigwe Uwa, is also a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (United Kingdom) and was conferred in April 2010 with the prestigious rank of Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN).
Featured Image Source: Ohafia
Got a suggestion? Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org