I cannot count how many times I have woken up in the morning and thanked God for giving us lemon and opening our eyes to its uses and benefits. You may find my thanksgiving absurd, but believe me after trying it out you will understand my obsession over this particular fruit. Although there are countless health benefits of lemon, here are ten benefits I find highly amazing.
1. Taking fresh lemon mixed with water first thing in the morning serves as a liver detoxifier.
2. Because lemon is packed with a lot of nutrients, taking it gives you access to calcium, citric acid, iron, fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, flavonoids and of course vitamin C.
3. Lemons alleviate allergic symptoms and lower blood sugar levels.
4. The citric acid found in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, calcium deposits, and kidney stones.
5. Lemon peels also contain phytonutrient tangeretin which have been proven to be effective for brain disorders i.e Parkinson’s disease.
6. Rutin is also found in lemons, and has been shown in research to alleviates the symptoms of eye disorders, including diabetic retinopathy.
7. In addition to being effective against cold and flu viruses, terpene limonoids found in lemons have proven anti-viral effects on other types of viruses.
8. Because of its richness in vitamin C and flavonoids, it works as a great punch against all those slimy infections i.e cold and the flu.
9. Lemons actually contain about 22 anti-cancer compounds including limonene (a naturally occurring oil that has the ability to slow or halt the growth of cancer tumours in animals). It also contains a substance called flavonol glycosides which stop cell division in cancer cells.
10. Outside the body, lemon juice is acidic (pH is below 7) but when the lemon juice has been fully metabolized and its minerals are dissociated in the bloodstream, its effect is alkalizing and therefore raises the pH of body tissue (pH above 7 is alkaline)
Featured Image Source: Natural Living Ideas
About the Writer:
Eniola Adeniji is a woman after God’s own heart, a motivational Writer, Speaker, Fashion and Photography addict. She is also a Business Developer, Social Media Manager and the founder of Woman Of Value. She blogs at ennmae.wordpress.com
You might also like:
This article was first published on 13th August 2015 and updated on May 31st, 2020 at 4:51 pm
Leave a Reply